[Xastir] Announcing tile support for OSM

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Wed Jul 28 16:14:36 EDT 2010

Greetings Jerry,

Even though I don't use Xastir, I follow the postings: using the OSM tiles
is a very good thing. My hat is off to you!

One of the best parts of OSM is the ability to add new data to current map
tiles. If a road, trail or other feature is not present, add it. I have not
explored this yet but I watch some of that activity as well and plan to help
in the future. Another Xastir user has mentioned this as well.

One item that will be useful at some point is the ability to grab to latest
tile if there has been a change to it. In many areas the data is thin at
best and there is a mapping community out there improving the data set which
makes it likely that many tiles will change. The APRSISCE/32 author is
exploring this as well.

It may end up being best to have a separate application for the update
ability rather than wrap it into Xastir. I only throw this out to generate
thinking along the path. :)

Best regards,
Fred