[Xastir] Announcing tile support for OSM

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:49:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Tom Hayward wrote:

> This is a good point. I haven't worked much with libcurl, but
> command-line curl has the ability to look at a local file and generate
> an HTTP If-Modified-Since header, so if the tile has not changed, the
> server should respond only with 304 Not Modified. This is the curl
> command:
>
> curl -z local.html http://remote.server.com/remote.html
>
> The download only gets performed if the remote file is newer than the
> local copy.
>
> If libcurl supports this, this feature could be augmented to the
> current tiling functions pretty easily.

We may not have any kind of a time-limit right now on the cached
tiles.  In fact I think we don't.  We'd need to add that and then
the curl tweak you talk about above so we wouldn't be spinning our
wheels too much.  When a cached tile times out we'd check for a
newer one, else touch the timestamp on the cached tile.