[Xastir] Announcing tile support for OSM

Jerry Dunmire jerry at dunmire.org
Thu Jul 29 01:42:47 EDT 2010

Hi Brett,
I have opened a channel with the OSM sysadmins and their concern is
simply bandwidth. If we stay low enough to avoid notice then there is
no problem, but since I don't know how many xastir users there really
are, I want to stay within the lines (fits my personality too, hi hi).

What someone does as an individual...

Hosting a tile server is a real possibility. When you get a chance,
look through some of the information on the OSM wiki about hosting
tile servers. There is even a simple Amazon EC2 setup. If someone
(you?) were to provide such a server, a new GEO  file is all that is
needed.

You might also consider generating the files directly from the OSM
vector file. The file is large, but the instruction seem pretty clear.

...jerry