[Xastir] Announcing tile support for OSM

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Thu Jul 29 12:12:29 EDT 2010

This still makes me think that for standalone operations (that might also
include a local lan of users) the idea of using the vector files (and or
shape files) on a separate application that then acts as an open GIS WMS
server might be a good solution. Vector data responds much faster and
requires a lot less storage. If the WMS server makes it pretty and then
serves the tiles of the pretty maps to the other clients like Xastir and
Opentickets then that process might be worth the effort. Having a tool to
render the vector based files would give the hams the independence needed in
times of emergencies. Vector file formats like from OSM would be an awesome
base and could be added to with other data, especially if data is created
with GIS programs during emergencies.

Again just thinking out loud. I know my favorite GIS program
www.manifold.net can act as an open GIS WMS server which could serve tiles
(but it's only windows based). There are other open source programs that can
function in the same way. I assume most municipal GIS organizations can do
the same and they are proficient in their programs (ESRI and MapInfo for the
most part). You would just link to them and pull the tiles as needed.

Brian N2KGC