[Xastir] Demise of Tiger servers and use of OSM?

KA7O ka7o at ka7o.net
Tue Jun 8 01:21:52 EDT 2010

On 06/07/2010 06:22 PM, Andrew Errington wrote:

> We should seriously look at OSM (www.osm.org) as a backend map source for
> Xastir.
>
> I have mentioned it a couple of times here, and it surprises me that
> no-one seems to be in the least bit interested.
>
> How about it?
>
> 73,
>
> Andrew

FWIW,

I'm totally for this idea. I've used OSM with the "TangoGPS" software
and am quite pleased with it. This is a map that appears similar to
Google Maps - itself an oft requested format for Xastir.

Including OSM support would effectively deal with these "two issues" in
one go.

Now, a question could be - is OSM going to be around and reliable long
enough to be worth the investment in time and effort? That's outside my
paygrade to make that call. But, the prognosis is good from my limited
perspective.

73
http://www.tangogps.org/gps/cat/About
Released under GPLv