[Xastir] Google Maps restrictions

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:14:08 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Kai Gunter Brandt <kai.brandt at cih.uib.no> wrote:
> So if some gurus can help me to get Statkart to work in XASTIR it would be
> great.

I'm not a guru, but I'll make some noise until they show up...

Off the top of my head, I see 3 solutions:

1 - you generate a bunch of these URLs, save the images, and create
.geo files to go with them.  I tried to do this with TIGER once upon a
time, but their screwball (sinusoidal?) projection was off badly
enough to make this useless. I don't think you will have this problem.

2 - create a bunch of .geo files that will automatically fetch the
image from the server.

3 - write some xastir code along the lines of the newly defunct TIGER
code that will automatically generate URLs and fetch the images.

> Testcall:
> http://openwms.statkart.no/skwms1/wms.kartdata2?VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:32633&BBOX=56213.79,6531782.63,422222.04,6823820.71&LAYERS=Kartdata2_WMS&STYLES=&WIDTH=762&HEIGHT=608&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xFFFFFF&TRANSPARENT=FALSE

Hmm, the EPSG:32633 is troublesome.  This refers to a projection that
is not WGS84.  I tried substituting 4326 (the code for WGS84) and it
didn't work.

This leads me to believe you're stuck with option 1, with the added
requirement of using GDAL or your favorite GIS raster tools to
reproject the maps into WGS84 as an extra step.  I guess if you are
really serious you could implement option 3 with the added step of
adding GDAL support directly into xastir and reproject on the fly.

Now I'll step back and wait for the folks who actually know something
about GIS to comment.  :)

-Jason
kg4wsv