[Xastir] Google Maps restrictions

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 15:02:49 EDT 2010

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Jerry Dunmire wrote:
>
>> Google is a problem because their usage policy does not allow caching.
>> Several other standalone applications (viking comes to mind) have had
>> to stop using Google maps for just that reason.
>
> I just took another run through one of their licensing pages and
> found several issues:
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/maps/terms.html

Note that my post was not to say we shouldn't implement Google Maps,
just that there were areas where we must be careful not to violate
their license terms.  If we can figure out good clean ways to
implement it then I'm all for it.  More map choices are always
better.  If someone wants to spend the time to investigate all the
things we have to steer clear of, and the same person or another
wishes to create a new module to implement it, then I'll volunteer
to help integrate it into our CVS code.  I doubt I'll have time to
write it myself but would be happy to help someone else that has the
time/energy.