[Xastir] Open Street Map support (read this)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:34:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Tom Hayward wrote:

>> I just experienced it while trying to zoom in using the mouse
>> zoom-box feature to my property out in the hills.  It ended up quite
>> a distance away from my target.
>
> I noticed this. I also notice, viewing the Puget Sound region, that
> there is some sort of projection issue. After zooming out it shows me
> in the water! Hmm... it appears intermittent. Zooming out and back in
> fixed it. Is this a known issue?

I saw that once and then ran out of time trying to duplicate it
(couldn't at that time).  The new code tweaks Xastir's zoom levels
to match the map instead of the other way around, so that's likely
most of the issues we're seeing.  Hopefully that will be tweaked and
we'll have precise georeferencing then, better than Tigermaps could
deliver (due to their weird projection).

> It also seems really slow (about as slow as Tigermaps!). Is any
> caching being done? (I don't have normal Xastir map caching support
> installed at this time)

Yes, but it's the normal Xastir map caching support that you're not
running.  I think the new code sometimes skips the caching in some
instances.

> Where does the big map come from--is it
> assembled from cached tiles by xastir, or is it rendered by a server
> somewhere?

Rendered by a server, similar to how Tigermaps were done.