[Xastir] Google Maps restrictions

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:39:27 EDT 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, John Ronan wrote:

> How large is the dataset?  Bandwidth we have, Disk space is a
> different matter, but I could find out what some of those new
> thumpers are doing tomorrow.

  Found at:

   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm

"A new version of planet.osm is released weekly (currently every
Thursday morning). We have these, going back to the start of April
2006. The current size of a planet.osm file is over 160 gigabytes
(reduced to 7.3GB with bzip2 compression) as of November 2009."

So, perhaps 250GB by now?  Maybe more?

They talk about three different rendering servers here:

   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_1.5

But I thought the OSM database was available in Shapefiles too,
which means the WMS server should work too?