[Xastir] Xastir CVS install VNC screen fail.

Dave H davekh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 11:45:30 EDT 2010

Hi
At work (G0CER-2) I've got a nice quiet hidden (net connected) Ubuntu server
which is currently running 9.1 and was running the Ubuntu supplied Xastir.

Today I spent a lunchtime doing the removal and installation as described
here for CVS http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_9.04  it went great.

(I occasionally found myself as root then told to do something to ~/src
which wouldn't exist, easily sorted but might catch a few.)

As I said it all went great - but I view the server via a VNC session and
ran the CVS install procedure through this session window - where the old
Xastir used to run nicely. However at the end of the CVS install setup - I
came to run xastir and got a failure message from xastir.

It failed to be connect to 'screen 1:0' - I've lost the actual original text
but the current error is below.

I went to the actual machine and ran xastir from there, it ran fine - I
can't VNC connect to screen 0 where I think its really running - I suppose I
could export that screen to my machine, but its a shared machine, so prefer
not to. Any ideas?

Also ..this v1.9.9 is super -thanks for the OSM maps capability,  we can
have xastir with all the maps we can eat now!  Is there a procedure for
offline use of OSM maps please?

Error  text:
daveh at valiant:~$ xastir

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via wget)
       osm   URL (OpenStreetMaps via wget)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":1.0".
XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found?
/usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
daveh at valiant:~$

Thanks for the work!

73s Dave H