[Xastir] WMS need help

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:02:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Kai Gunter Brandt wrote:

> i'm only getting: Magick: Improper image header
> (/home/kgb/.xastir/map_cache/map_1276633908.png).
>
> But zooming out to 200Km i get the whole country.
> I also tried all the formats even the map for europe and same "result".

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing.  Believe it or not, that's good.  It
means debugging is easier if I can reproduce what you're seeing.

I turned off all interfaces, threw Xastir into debug mode, and
captured this URL from the debug output when I zoomed in:

http://openwms.statkart.no/skwms1/wms.topo2?VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:4326&LAYERS=topo2_WMS&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xFFFFFF&TRANSPARENT=FALSE&REQUEST=getmap&EXCEPTIONS=INIMAGE&BBOX=
3.73316,57.43458,11.20702,61.73676&HEIGHT=959&WIDTH=1666

Xastir doesn't display it, but Firefox does.  That means the trouble
appears to be with the Xastir, ImageMagick, or map-caching code.
The map when put into a browser looks very nice, I can see why you'd
like to use it in Xastir.

Further checking showed that Xastir was returning too quickly from
the libcurl call.  That told me something was going wrong there.  I
suspected that the URL might be wrong but adding another printf in
the right place told me that wasn't the case.  So, my next guess as
to the cause was correct.  You're going to love the fix:

Make sure you have "wget" installed.  Run:

     ./configure --without-libcurl
     make; sudo make install; sudo chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir

Looks like libcurl can't handle long URL's, at least not the version
I have installed.  Wget can.