[Xastir] XAstir 1.9.9 on Sidux Moros doesn't start

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 21:39:38 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Rainer D., DL5PD <raidoh71 at web.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I compiled successfully XAstir 1.9.9 on Sidux Moros (Kernel 2.6.32-2), this
> is a kind of Debian Squeeze. At least I got no errors during compilation
> time.
>
> When I try to start the program, the console offers the following output:
>
> k30-user at cf28:~$ /usr/local/bin/xastir
>
> Built-in map types:
> gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
> pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
> map   APRSdos Maps
> map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
> pdb   PocketAPRS Maps
>
> Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
> geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats allowed)
> geo   URL (Internet maps via wget)
> osm   URL (OpenStreetMaps via wget)
> shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
> tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
>
> festival_client: connect to server failed
> SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
>
> Indexing maps...
> Finished indexing maps
> *** Reading WX Alert log files
> *** Done with WX Alert log files
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1851, errno = 32
>

> I already removed all the maps I had, and the .xastir - directory in my
> /home but this didn't help. I don't know where to start now.
>
> Any help very appreciated.

I thought I would try this new Sidux version by installing it in a
virtual machine.  I did that and compiled Xastir 1.99 from CVS, and so
far there are no issues. I set the map to the brand spanking new geo
for mapnik rendering (OSM), and it's great.

I followed the Installation Notes for Debian Squeeze at
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Debian_Squeeze with a few exceptions:

1) I did not install proj.4 from source - instead installed the proj
package from the repository - if the issue with proj is still present
in this version of Debian, it doesn't affect Xastir, anyway.
2) I installed openmotif instead of lesstif - I noticed the openmotif
version in the repo was one that does not have the slider bug, so I
ran with it.
3) I installed libxpm-dev from the repository (I had mistakenly left
this package out of the Debian Squeeze Howto - it enables snaphots -
will fix that)
4) I didn't install GDAL, which is very optional anyway.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT