[Xastir] gpsd errors still not having success

John"D" Thompson jdtidw7ret at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 23:48:58 EDT 2010

Update to my post. Thanks for the info on gpsctl it did not solve my problem
but I learned how to change my gps mode from binary to NMEA. I have
attempted  unsuccessfully to get Xastir to function with gpsd v2.92-4 I have
3 machines with Ubuntu 10.04lts installed. 1 has xastir v1.9.4, 2 have
Xastir v1.9.9. all have gpsd v2.92-4.One machine is dual boot with Ubuntu
9.10 and Xastir v1.94 and gpsd 2.38. I have tried running the gps device in
binary(sirf), NMEA, read only mode with gps set to NMEA and Binary. I can
get the gps to function in serial mode if I set it to NMEA. I can not get
gpsd v2,92-4 to function with xastir. I downloaded the lucid/xastir live ISO
from the wiki and apt-get install gpsd to the ISO and still can not get gpsd
to function with xastir. I get 00 sats and invalid fix. also noted when I
attempt to use networked gps (gpsd) I do not get the red comm arrow in the
lower right corner. My machine with Ubuntu 9.10 and xastir 1.9.4 & gpsd 2.38
I have no problems getting networked gps to function.In my first post I
mentioned a possible change with gpsd I have copied some text from the gpsd
site

Urgent news for maintainers of gpsd clients

We've been warning it was coming for years, and it's here: in 2.90, the
request/response protocol used by gpsd has changed in ways that will break
your application if you're not careful. The old protocol is gone from the
daemon. It is still supported in the client library, but will remain so only
for a very limited time. Read "Moving to GPSD-NG: a Guide for Client
Developers" to find out why this is happening and what you need to do about
it.

Thank you
JohnD W7RET