[Xastir] OSM maps and README.maps

Jerry Dunmire jerry at dunmire.org
Thu Jun 17 14:14:39 EDT 2010

Hi David,
Thanks for your offer.

The files specify the source and options for various on-line map
images generated from the OpenStreetMap data. The best starting point
to identify each of the 'styles' is this URL:
http://ojw.dev.openstreetmap.org/StaticMap/?lat=37.3136451416&lon=-121.874084472&z=11&mode=Style&

The .osm files force Xastir to use binned scaling levels that match
the 18 fixed levels from the OSM. This eliminates scaling of the bit
mapped images, leading to clean images without aliasing artifacts
(jagged lines, blurring, dropped pixels, etc.) Other than their effect
on scaling the .osm files are identical to the .geo files of the same
name.

I am looking at some alternatives for selecting zoom levels, that if
acceptable, will eliminate the .osm files.

The .geo/.osm files also include comments that you might want to review.

Also note that .osm extension has a different, incompatible, meaning
for the OSM project.

73,
...jerry
KA6HLD