[Xastir] Sidux 2010-01 Installation Notes

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 21:16:26 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Rainer D., DL5PD <raidoh71 at web.de> wrote:
> Hello Lee,
>
> thanks a lot for your description in the wiki. I just installed the new
> Sidux Hypnos and first of all, I tried to install xastir 1.9.9 as you
> discribed it in the wiki.
>
> Unfortunately, the result stays the same:
>
> These are the last messages from the console-output before the program
> crashes:
>
> Code #1129 <XADBMST001> data <MySQL (lat/long)> hotkey <>
> Code #1130 <XADBMST002> data <Postgreql with Postgis> hotkey <>
> Code #1131 <XADBMST003> data <MySQL (spatial)> hotkey <>
> Code #1132 <XASCHEMA01> data <Xastir Simple Schema> hotkey <>
> Code #1133 <XASCHEMA02> data <Xastir CAD Schema> hotkey <>
> Code #1134 <XASCHEMA03> data <Xastir full Schema> hotkey <>
> Code #1135 <XASCHEMA04> data <APRSWorld Schema> hotkey <>
> LANG 1136
> Indexing maps...
> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
> Finished indexing maps
> *** Reading WX Alert log files
> *** Done with WX Alert log files
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1972, errno = 32
>
> As Curt proposed, I looked up if there is another process of xastir running
> ... it isn't.
>
> The only thing I can obviously see, it takes pretty long before the program
> crashes (about 1,5 minutes I guess)...but I must say, that I run the program
> on a Pentium 3 Computer with 256 MB RAM ... but the precompiled version
> worked well.
>
> Just another thought: I am not using KDE, but XFCE instead, perhaps it is up
> to that fact, that I get this curious message and cannot run xastir.
>
> 73 and regards
> Rainer DL5PD

Hmm, I ran through the entire procedure a 2nd time last night - the
only changes I made to the original instructions were minor.  I
changed the method of adding the non-free repository to use the echo
command instead of editing with nano, and I changed the method of
creating the .cvsrc file to use cat instead of nano.  Since nano is
not installed by default, I decided to take it out of the equation.

After running through it again, I got the same result - Xastir works
fine - I do admit I haven't really done much with it other than verify
that the OSM maps work.  I'm not getting any errors in the terminal
other than the expected one for Festival.

I am running the KDE (lite) version of Sidux installed in Virtualbox.I
have run Xastir in XFCE desktops before (Xubuntu and VectorLinux) with
no issues.  If I get some time I can try setting up a virtual machine
with the XFCE version of Sidux and see if it behaves any differently.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX