[Xastir] Sidux 2010-01 Installation Notes

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 00:01:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Rainer D., DL5PD wrote:
>
>> Indexing maps...
>> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
>> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
>> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
>> draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
>> Finished indexing maps
>
> Those are odd.
>

>> *** Reading WX Alert log files
>> *** Done with WX Alert log files
>> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1972, errno = 32
>
> How are you starting Xastir?  As a normal user?  As root?  With
> sudo?
>
> Another thing to check:  Since you are switching from a pre-compiled
> Xastir to a CVS version, it is likely installing in a new place
> (/usr/local/share/xastir) instead of the old (/usr/share/xastir), so
> your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file may be pointing at the old
> instead of the new.  Check the paths in there.  Also check whether
> you need to move your old maps to the new location for Xastir to
> find them.
>

>> Just another thought: I am not using KDE, but XFCE instead, perhaps it is
>> up to that fact, that I get this curious message and cannot run xastir.
>
> I run Xastir on a P3-866MHz sometimes with 384MB of memory using
> FVWM2 window manager, works fine.  FVWM2 is older than XFCE.
>
> I did a quick check via Google for that error message and came
> across this talkinga bout running an app with sudo (which you
> shouldn't be doing in this case):
>
> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/95858-ice-default-io-error-handler.html

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many
formats allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via wget)
       osm   URL (OpenStreetMaps via wget)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
Making user /home/lee/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file
festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
Indexing maps...
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
draw_geo_image_map:sscanf parsing error
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too low):4263101696
convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too high):161465600

I got the text above when starting Xastir for the first time in the
XFCE version.  I did duplicate the "draw_geo_image" errors.  However,
Xastir has not crashed, and after I zoomed in to a reasonable level,
there were no more error messages.  I set up an internet server,
changed maps, changed map settings, etc with no more errors showing
up.  The online OSM stuff is working great.  Rainer, I don't know -
perhaps the bad behavior you are seeing is hardware related.  I'm not
seeing it when I use "virtual hardware".

The XFCE version is pretty fast.  Installation time in Virtualbox was
3 minutes, 20 seconds!  I haven't played with Sidux much yet, but it's
making a good first impression.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX