[Xastir] Ubuntu 10.04 proj package

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 00:51:53 EDT 2010

$ cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=latlong +datum=NAD27
106d38'17.94"W 35d15'40.14"N
106d38'15.843"W	35d15'39.993"N -0.000

Fyi, the standard proj package in the Ubuntu repository appears to
have been built correctly.  The installation notes in the Wiki for
10.04 still use the work-around that applied to previous versions of
Ubuntu, but it looks like they don't need to.

I ran the little test above from a clean installation of Ubuntu 10.04
that had just been updated by installing a new deb (binary) package I
had put together for Xastir.  The deb package had pulled in proj as a
dependency.  So proj works, and - even better - Xastir 1.99 with OSM
support works.

I'm kicking myself for not looking into how to make deb packages
sooner, because it turned out to be simpler than I expected.  I have a
deb for Ubuntu 10.04 now and also one for Debian Lenny (tested and
found to work on Mepis 8.5).  I'll post them sometime tomorrow for
anyone who cares to be a guinea pig.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX