[Xastir] TigerMaps (TigerLine 2009 instructions now available! See HowTo:MAPS)

Peter Gamache peter+aprs at duonet.net
Tue Jun 22 17:46:45 EDT 2010

Sure, I have no problem with that.  For the legal-minded: I hereby release
the dbfawk files located on http://xmaps.luno.org under the GNU GPL version
2 or any subsequent version.

The 2009 tl dataset has a lot of redundant parts (like the 2000 Census data
that's useless to us, plus a lot of political subdivisions that aren't
relevant to SAR, marathons, bike tours, driving or most other uses).  I've
only built dbfawks (and released instructions to download) files that are
actually useful.  This cuts the disk space required down to under 800Mb for
the state of Minnesota, where the whole thing would be about 3Gb.

I have finished a preliminary edit of the HowTo:MAPS to include the
Tiger/Line 2009 instructions and moved a lot of the older Tiger/Line stuff
to a new page (HowTo:MAPS:Older_Tiger/Line_Maps).

I'd like someone else to take a look at the MAPS HowTo and check it over; I
tried cleaning up some of the other sections a bit, but the page is still a
little disorganized and also rather US-centric.  Anyone from Mexico, Canada
or another continent want to contribute?

Regards,
-PG / KC0TFB