[Xastir] Open Street Maps for Beginners

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 01:22:22 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI wrote:
>
>> Are there any installation instructions out there for a novice to
>> install OpenStreetMaps?  I have found bits and pieces of what I
>> need to do but many of you are over my head with the shorthand
>> verbage due to your superior experience. I am running Xastir 1.9.8
>> on Debian 5.0.
>
> Another new Xastir user?   Welcome!
>
> Xastir 1.9.8 can't do OSM.  OSM in Xastir is too new.
>
> You would need to upgrade to the latest Xastir CVS version which has
> the code in it for handling OSM maps.  No released version of Xastir
> can do it yet except for a Mac OSX binary package created last week
> by one of the users.
>
> Try this for help on CVS:
>
>    http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Notes:CVS
>
> If you get stuck, ask for specific help here and we'll do our best.

I would try the Installation Notes for Mepis 8.x

Mepis is based on Debian 5.0, so if the procedure is not identical, it
will be very close.
Just use synaptic instead of apt-get to fetch the dependencies just in
case any of the package names are slightly different.

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:MEPIS_8.0

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT