[Xastir] Deb package for Ubuntu 10.04

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:31:56 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Jon K Hellan <hellan at acm.org> wrote:
> Here's how you can - usually - build a deb package of a more recent version of a program when there
> already is an official package. The recipe works on Debian, Ubuntu and other like minded Linux
> distributions. All commands should be entered from a shell.
>
> 1. Get the essential tools for building packages:
>  sudo apt-get install build-essential
>
> 2. Install headers and tools needed for building your package:
>
>  sudo apt-get build-dep xastir
>
> 3. Download the source to the official package. cd to a suitable place and:
>
>  apt-get source xastir
>
> the source will end up in the directory xastir-<version>, e.g. xastir-1.9.4, below your current
> location
>
> 4. cd to a suitable place. Check out the current version of the source from CVS, or download and
> unpack the tar file with the version you want.
>
> 5. cd into the source directory. Copy the 'debian' directory from the package source into your source
> like this:
>
>   cp -rp <packagesourcdir>/debian/* debian
>
> 6. Edit the version number at the top of the file debian/changelog. E.g change
>
> xastir (1.9.4-3.1) unstable; urgency=low

> xastir (1.9.9-1local) unstable; urgency=low
>
> 7. Build the package using the command
>
>  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> If the source hasn't changed too much since it was packaged for Ubuntu/Debian, this will result
> in a .deb file in the directory above the source directory.
>
> If you want to enable other options than Ubuntu does, they run 'configure' from the file
> 'debian/rules'. You can change the arguments there, but remember to install the libraries
> *and* the -dev packages with header files.
>
> 73
> Jon LA4RT

I followed the HowTo at the following link:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Debian-Binary-Package-Building-HOWTO/

It's somewhat more complex with Xastir than creating a binary package
for a simple shell script as was done in the example, but I still used
the same procedure.  Anyway, the binary works for me, and it worked
for David A., which is the only feedback I have seen so far.  Thanks
for the tip on naming it version 1.9.9-1local.  I wasn't sure exactly
how to name it, so I simply used 1.99-1.0.

The 1.99 binary is posted at
www.175moonlight.com/xastir/xastir-lucid-i386-2010-06-22.deb

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT