[Xastir] no zoom levels under 15 with osm maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:30:53 EDT 2010

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:

> i've tried downloading cvs version (1.9.9) and using with osm maps,
> it works quite out of box, except zooming beyond level ~15 doesn't work.
>
> i am using opencyclemap.
>
> btw. scrolling is horrible slow...
> there is recently avail software called 'navit' and 'tangogps'
> which has _much_ faster map (and poi) display routines,
> perhaps their code could be used as inspiration ?
>
> also 'navit' can display 'compiled' .osm vector maps (at stunning speed
> compared to xastir, even on 'old pentium' with 64M ram)

We're not taking advantage of servers that provide "tiles" of map
images at this point.  We're only using servers that provide the
full image that we need.  I don't recall now whether Jerry was
thinking about looking into using tiles, but if so we could then
cache those tiles as well and zooming/panning would then involved
downloading only the tiles needed to complete the image.

Until then, if you have map caching compiled in, restrict yourself
to using the PageUp/PageDown and arrow keys and the caching should
give you some serious speed after you've retrieved each map image
that you regularly use once.