[Xastir] When your only tool is a hammer- using linux to send aprs packets

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 01:44:58 EST 2010

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Lee Bengston wrote:

> Overall, a very interesting thread.
>
> For anyone like me who was wondering what the "beacon" command was a part of...
>
> ~$ beacon --help
> The program 'beacon' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
> sudo apt-get install ax25-tools
>
> Now that was easy :-)

Check out the Soundmodem howto and the AX.25 howto at the Xastir
homepages.  Those will help people get set up if they've not done it
before.

For those of us who grew up doing TCP/IP over the air, "beacon" and
other AX.25 tools are old hat.  These days most people don't use
them for much.  A few scripts here and there.