[Xastir] Linking to Maps on SD

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Tue May 4 00:12:48 EDT 2010

How about this idea.

1. Load your normal maps on your EEE pc and start Xastir.  Exit Xastir
and back up the map_index.sys file.
2. Load the second hard drive, create the link, restart Xastir and allow
to reindex.  Quit Xastir again.
3. compare the existing map_index.sys to the backup and create a text
file on the secondary hard disk containing the entries for only the map
files on that drive.
4. Whenever mounting the secondary hard drive simply create a script to
backup the existing index file and then append the text file to the
map_index.sys file before starting xastir.
It might be possible to create an automount that does step 4 automaticly.

I had an idea several years ago similar to this, so that common options
for Xastir could be selected from a graphical startup menu and then
"patched" back into the config file before the desktop icon is clicked.
Similar to the way the graphical linux kernal configure program works.

Another use would be preconfiguring.  Simply typing in your callsign
would enable a script to search the callsign database and retrive your
address, your address could then be converted into Coordinates and
"preloaded" into the xastir.cnf file on system startup.  Saving the new
user the hassle of finding his home location on a map.  I had a nice
stable script for doing this, but I lost interest several years ago and
never completed it.

Dick R.