[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 54, Issue 28

Guy Story KC5GOI kc5goi at gmail.com
Sun May 23 23:58:49 EDT 2010

Curt, I tried it with the online maps this evening and had the same issue.
If the error was within 50 meters I would not sweat it but it is off by a
mile in some cases.  I still think I am not getting the tie points close
enough.  Based on what I learned on WinAPRS if you take the tie points and
use them to draw a box, if it was more rectangular than square, the image
would be altered and cause posits to not place correctly on the image file
but are on the money with the Tiger files.  I could probably do better on
the distance of the tie points too.  I am not completely to the upper left
and lower right as I probably could be.  I am trying to use road
intersections as reference points to find tie points.

That said, you theory on datums could be right too.  I have no idea what
Google is using for their datum format on their maps.  I know from
Geocaching that if the datums differ then the locations are not going to
match.

I will play with this more this week.  Time for shutting down tonight.

Message: 2

--
73

Guy Story KC5GOI