[Xastir] x_spider server

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 26 00:43:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:35:00PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <godfreja at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello.
>
> I am obviously doing something wrong, but I can't see it. If anyone
> can spot my trouble it would help a lot. I don't see my objects appear
> on the map or on the object list. I have also tried inserting objects
> from packets found on the internet using xastir_udp_client, and I
> still don't see anything.
>
> My passcode is correct. If I change it to something else I get an
> error, if it is correct I get an ACK.
>
> Xastir with some debug output shows:
> Received datagram: N0RPM,XXXX
> ;Pickup   *260424z4511.60N/09252.88WA
> x_spider udp:  user:N0RPM  pass:XXXX
> decode_ax25_line: start parsing ;Pickup   *260424z4511.60N/09252.88WA
> decode_ax25_line: exiting
>
> >From the xastir config file:
> STATION_CALLSIGN:N0RPM
>
> Output from my injection program:
> At distance 10 45.1933N -92.8813W
>
> N0RPM,XXXX
> ;Pickup   *260424z4511.60N/09252.88WA

Is this the exact string you're sending?  If so, it's not the right format.

It should be this:

N0RPM>xxxxxx;Pickup   *260424z4511.60N/09252.88WA

where xxxxxx is a string representing the software you're using to generate
the object.  Try something like APZRPM (APZ is the prefix for experimental
programs).  Avoid existing TOCALLS (see http://www.aprs.org/tocalls.txt).

Without the "N0RPM>" and the following TOCALL, Xastir isn't parsing the
thing as an AX.25 frame --- that's why it simply exits with no further
output after the "start parsing" line.

HTH,
T.

 "It is better to live on your feet than to die with your knees."
  -- Mil Millington on running, in Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life