[Xastir] printing maps to 1:24k scale

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Fri May 28 07:34:17 EDT 2010

Hi all,

My SAR team uses Xastir for APRS operations. It works extremely well,
and we've been able to use it now on several real searches with
excellent results. We use Maptech/MyTopo Terrain Navigator for
printing 1:24k topo maps. It works well. The issue is that this
requires both linux and Windows, either through a dual-boot config or
a VM or a separate physical laptop. This is less than optimal.

We have all of the topo, aerial, trail, and street maps we need for
Xastir, but so far I haven't been able to find a way to print at 1:24k
scale. We don't need anything fancy, just UTM or USNG grid overlays
and a way to temporarily hide stations and tracks. It absolutely must
be to scale so that it'll work with our UTM grid readers though. Am I
missing some option, or is it not currently possible to print like
this?

I suppose the other option for us would be to ditch Terrain Navigator
and use qgis for printed maps on linux if Xastir won't do what we
need.

Thanks!

Kevin
KB9MQU