[Xastir] printing maps to 1:24k scale

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 28 11:06:20 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:34:46AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> If the scale problem were solved there's another issue which Tom
> Russo has pointed out on this list before:  Printing maps that can
> be used for compass navigation.  I think the usual method is to
> print a map in Mercator projection?  Tom?

Not necessarily, although that would be an option for certain types of
navigation.  The important part is that map needs to be printed in a conformal
projection.  For ground navigation common projections are UTM and Lambert
Conformal Conic.

The "unprojected" (really "equidistant cylindrical projection") printed by
Xastir will in fact be distorted so that a straight line drawn on the
map will not be at the correct angle to represent a bearing line between
the end points.

 "It is better to live on your feet than to die with your knees."
  -- Mil Millington on running, in Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life