[Xastir] Still have questions if all is working correctly

Norman Heyen n.heyen at comcast.net
Fri May 28 16:10:07 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I've asked a couple of weeks ago if anything can confirm that my station
(KC9NVN) is acting correctly. The consensus was that it is but I still don't
understand something that seems odd to me.

When I look at the raw packets in APRS.FI (or any other site) all I ever see
are the twice per hour beacons. When I look in the station info page, there
isn't a section for "Stations which heard KC9NVN directly on radio". Even
though I am acting as a fill-in in a fairly low traffic area, I would think
that at some point I would transmit something to someone.

There are a reasonable number of stations in the "Stations heard directly by
KC9NVN", that makes sense. It seems I can hear OK. I agree that I'm hearing
a fair number of packets and sending them to the APRS-IS (Igate?) OK, but
shouldn't I transmit at least every once in a while?

I'm running Xastir 1.9.8 with a Byonics TT4 with Alpha 0.64 firmware in KISS
mode on Ubuntu 9.04 (?) if that matters. I've followed the setting from the
TinyTrak Yahoo newsgroup file "Fill In Digi V0.64.doc".

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I just don't understand.

Thanks!

Norman

KC9NVN