[Xastir] Kenwood TM-D710 TNC Configuration question

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at cih.uib.no
Mon Nov 29 03:37:45 EST 2010

On 11/28/2010 08:30 PM, Joel Kershner wrote:
> I have been searching the web for answer to this question with not
> much luck, a whole lot of questions and not a lot of answers.
>
> Some how I think its more complex than setting Xastir to use a config
> file with the configuration string "KISS ON".
>
> During my research I found some one (Patrik Stromdahl, SM7NWJ.) who
> claimed that they had a working config file for the D710.
>
> # $Id: tnc-startup.d710,v 1. 2009/06/03 10:28:58 sm7nwj Exp $
> #
> # Patrik Stromdahl, SM7NWJ.
> #
> # TNC Init file for KENWOOD TM-D710.
> #

> But when I init the TNC using this it displays the firmware version
> information and I dont get any TNC information into Xastir.
>
> When I use a terminal I see APRS traffic just fine.
>
> Configuring it as a straight KISS TNC hasnt worked well either.
>
> Suggestions?

This could be because the script failed once when you tested it. In this
file i can see TC 1 been used but no command to put it back when you are
exiting.

Do you really need the TM-D710 to be in Kiss-mode? The TNC mode is
working with xastir.

If you see firmware version then theres something wrong with your setup.
The following commands are allowed for the display unit:
TN (sets read tnc mode)
CS (sets read callsign)
AE (serialnumber)
SR (unknown)