[Xastir] All Message Traffic

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:35:01 EDT 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Jerry wrote:

> Is there a way to let the incoming messages flow by date and time ( with
> date and time showing) rather than being sorted by call sign order?

If you open the window and leave it open you'll see them in
time-order.  If you open it after-the-fact, it shows you message
history by callsign-order, but prints new messages at the bottom in
time-order.

I've thought about changing it in the past 'cuz I'm not particularly
happy with it either.

If/when I'm doing a lot of messaging, or watching a lot of it, I
leave the window open so it's in time-order.

We're one week into code-freeze though so no changes other than
bug-fixes and translations are being accepted or permitted right
now.  Ask me again in a week or two after the stable release is out,
we can talk about what a better format might be until then.

> When you send a message to a station and do not get an ack back and it is
> not timed out yet, can you send a second message to that same station before
> you have to clear the message that never got an ack back?

No.  However, if you have a reasonably good channel you can chat
back and forth fairly quickly using the Reply-Ack scheme, which is
automatic if the other station has that mode as well.  Ack's for the
other guy are piggybacked onto your messages, so if he/she doesn't
receive your individual ack's, they might get it in your next
message instead.  It makes for much better message flow.

I know it's frustrating to try to message over poor links, but if
a message isn't getting through you can kill it and then send a
different message.  Try shorter messages as they get through better,
particularly over multiple hops.  You can also kick the timer on a
message, but that has limited applicability and probably causes more
problems than it solves.  I try to use it sparingly.