[Xastir] What fun! GMail filtering

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 15:56:43 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Kai Gunter Brandt
> <kai.brandt at cih.uib.no> wrote:
>
>> use password on the zipfile and use a public know password and it should
>> do fine i think.
>
> I just rename the .zip file to .zap and gmail doesn't snoop inside it
> for the verboten files.
>
> Adding a password should work as gmail won't be able to snoop on the
> included files in the archive.
>
> James
> VE6SRV

My employer does something similar to what google does, except they
take it one step further and can recognize zip and tar.gz files even
if they have been renamed.  For .exe files, I just rename them to
.eee, and they get right through.  Files ending in .sys could probably
just be renamed to .sss  and get through.  As long as the files are
not so big that they require compressing, I've found that just
renaming them using an unknown extension works pretty well.

Lee - K5DAT