[Xastir] Mac Binary Package (was Xastir v2.0.0 has been released)

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Oct 27 14:56:52 EDT 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> thanks for providing this binary, Jeremy.
>

>> Remember, as always, to back up your maps before you drop this new version in /Applications.
>
> A suggestion: why not compile so that it uses /usr/local/share for the
> data?  e.g.
>
> ./configure  --datarootdir=/usr/local/share/xastir

Because then the data has to be installed separately than the binary, and I have to ship it in two pieces for people to install.  dataroodir holds more than just maps.  The idea of the distribution was so that you could drag and drop Xastir into your /Applications directory just like any other Mac binary.  Either way, to comply with the "Mac standard" that data should live in ~/Library/Application Support/Xastir.  I may remedy the problem in the future by making an installer that can create the data directory.  In a normal Mac application, support files like that should be copied into place by the application itself the first time it runs.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com