[Xastir] Online open maps downloading too frequently

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 15:57:44 EDT 2011

Answering my own post.  I think I've discovered the source of the reload problem.  One of the NWS radar image .geo files I had activated had a 60 second refresh rate.  Every time the radar image refreshed, it triggered a refresh of the OSM layer.  That resulted in a download/cache test every minute.

If I remember correctly, the current code can't render each layer independently of the others so when one layer refreshes, all of them must be redrawn in the layer order.  If I'm correct then the entire window gets redrawn every time one of the layers updates including the radar images.

I didn't notice the radar image at first because it was actually way off screen.  I started searching the .geo files for a refresh rate and found it in the file used by the radar image.