[Xastir] USB to Serial issue (Curt, WE7U)

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Fri Apr 8 19:49:25 EDT 2011

Re: [Xastir] USB to Serial issue
From:
"Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com>
Date:
Thu, 07 Apr 2011 09:35:10 -0700 (PDT)

To:
Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> I have on my laptop (HP dv-7) a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 with latest
> xastir from cvs,  When I insert my USB-serial dongle, and add a KISS
> serial tnc (OT+ @ 9600) and then Start the interface, the Interface
> hangs.  I have to pull the dongle to release the hang.
>
> When I use a serial terminal, like GtkTerm, it works fine.  I see the
> KISS "stuff" come across.  When I shutdown the serial terminal and
> start xastir and the Interface, I still get a hang.  The user is a
> group member of DIALOUT.
>
> I have a similar setup on my stationary HP TC-1100 (KG5LT-5),  The
> user in this case is not a group member of DIALOUT.  It just works!
>
> Do I have to remove the DIALOUT group membership on my laptop?
>
> Any suggestions where to look for the problem?

Check the ownership and permissions for the USB port you're trying to
use.  It should be something like "/dev/USB0" or "/dev/USB1".

     ls -l /dev/USB*

See what group the USB ports belong to as it it might be something other
than dialout.  The permissions for the group need to be read/write as
well so it should be something like:

     crw-rw---- 1 root dialout

Also make absolutely sure that the user you're logging in as is a member
of the "dialout" group, or whatever group is listed for that port.

     grep <user> /etc/group

and that you've logged out and back in since adding that user to the group.

--
Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
U.S. Weather Alerts:  Firenet.us, port 14580, filter "t/n e/WE7U-WX"

Curt,

Actually, the device is /dev/ttyUSB0  and it does have the root DIALOUT
user/group values.  And, they both are 'rw'.  The only thing I can think
of is that I may have done the xastir-cvs-thinky incorrectly.  Also, as
I pointed out, on my TC-1100, user 'dale' is not a member of the group
DIALOUT, but xastir still works on that machine under the 'dale' user.
Also, logging out and back in did not solve the issue.

Why would GtkTerm have no problems?  What's so special about that
program, that xastir doesn't have?  Very strange.

Still mystified... 73 - Dale.  KG5LT