[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 65, Issue 10

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 15:23:54 EDT 2011

On 4/10/2011 11:00 AM, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
> So, Dale bottom-posted his reply (yay!), but*his*  mail client did not strip
> *your*  signature.  Your mail client (on the other hand)*did*  strip the
> signature before preparing the reply.  Since Dale's message was below your
> original signature delimiter it was discarded as it was deemed to be part of
> the signature.
>
> Anyway he seems to be using Thunderbird.  Maybe there is a bug, or maybe his
> settings are incorrect.
>
> To get around this you could try highlighting the relevant portion of the
> message then hit reply.  Your mailer should prepare the reply containing only
> the highlighted portion.

OK!  Thanks to both of you for the email help.  Andrew is correct in
that I use Thunderbird as my emailer in Windoze.  I also run in digest
mode, so not always sure of the correct way to reply to just a portion
of a digest.  I had copied much of Curt's reply into a new message
rather that attempt to do a reply, hence, no quoting.  This time I did
what Andy suggested and highlighted the relevant portion, right-clicked
and chose "reply to list".  Yeah!  It works...  Ain't compooters
wonerful?  ;-)  LOL!

Now on to the serious stuff - USB to serial boondoggle.  On my laptop: I
downloaded a serial port test program - com.c - found at
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/programming/c/com.c.  I compiled it
and ran it for /dev/ttyUSB0 on the laptop (HP dv-7 with Ubuntu 10.10).
I had the KISS tnc hooked up.  After a few minutes, when I hit the 'esc'
key to quit the program, it flushed the input buffer, printing on the
console the KISS text (two packets received).  However, not so sure how
the program was to truly work, I disconnected my tnc and placed a db9
test "plug" (loop-back) to the adapter.  The com.c program would not
echo what the keyboard was sending out.  Not sure what was going on
there.  It seemed as if the USB-to-serial adapter was not working
properly.  Results: inconclusive.

I have a third, no-name PC I can dual boot to linux.  It has Ubuntu
10.04 (2.6.32.30).  I did a new install of xastir (per wiki cvs
instructions).  The USB-to-serial adapter that I suspected as being
potentially bad, worked like a charm.  The Interface in xastir came
right up with no hang.

So, to summarize:

*  TC 1100 PC:  KG5LT-5  receive only iGate.  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS  has two
USB-to-serial adapters (IOGear), one to xastir, the other to a U2000
weather station logging to postgresql.  Both adapters work fine.  Both
go through a USB external hub.  Both users are a group member of DIALOUT.

*  no-name PC: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with new xastir install.  USB-to-serial
adapter works fine.  User is a group member of DIALOUT.  Just for
completeness, I d/l'd the com.c program, compiled and ran as on the
laptop.  Same response: inconclusive results.  Would be nice to have a
simple (??) app, other than GtkTerm to test with, using the db9
loop-back plug.

*  HP dv-7 laptop Ubuntu 10.10 with a fresh xastir install after
deleting the /home/dale/.xastir folder and the /usr/local/share/xastir
folder, AND after preserving the maps and config folders and the .xastir
folder for a later restore once I overcome the problem.  User is a group
member of DIALOUT.  The USB-to-serial adapter hangs in xastir, but works
with GtkTerm; and, doesn't appear to work correctly with the com.c
program I d/l'd.

The common thread is a change in OpSys version.  I now suspect possibly
a driver issue, maybe?  The USB-to-serial adapters are IOGear model
GUC232A using the Prolific PL2303 hardware.  Perhaps Ubuntu 10.10 has an
incompatible PL2303 driver?  Not sure how to go about rectifying that if
it is indeed the case.

Hope this helps shed some light on this befuddling issue.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT