[Xastir] OSM Maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:28:07 EDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Tim Billingsley wrote:

> I am running a Debian based distro and have updated my xastir, installed dev
> pkgs of imagmagick and graphicsmagick, wget, and libcurl.
>
> When starting xastir I get this response
>
> *Built-in map types:
>      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
>       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
>       map   APRSdos Maps
>       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
>       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps
>
> Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
>       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
> allowed)
>       geo   URL (Internet maps via wget)
>       geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via wget
>                  Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
>       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
> *
> BUT.... I still cannot see a selection for OSM maps
>
> What am I missing. Please help.

Looks good so far!

Try reindexing your maps.  Map->Configure menu.  There should have been some new "maps" installed in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Online, like:

     OSM_tiled_cycle.geo
     OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo
     OSM_tiled_osmarender.geo
     OSM_tiled_skiing.geo
     OSM_tiled_topOSM_0_relief.geo
     OSM_tiled_topOSM_1_contour.geo
     OSM_tiled_topOSM_2_features.geo

If you're not seeing these, even after reindexing your maps, then you probably have your Xastir config files pointing into the binary location Debian uses, while Xastir sources install into a different location.  Check your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file for paths that don't start with /usr/local/share/xastir and changed them.

We have no control over where packagers of binaries decide to put things, so when you switch from binary packages to compiling Xastir from sources, or vice-versa, you end up with your Xastir config files pointing to the wrong area.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Usage Pages:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/usage.html