[Xastir] AX.25 problem on Linux

Rmead at justconnected.net Rmead at justconnected.net
Sun Aug 7 13:41:21 EDT 2011

Hey all -

I've got a very strange problem with my ax25 setup on Ubuntu. Google
searches have proved fruitless, so I'm hoping someone here has some
tips.

I had a working setup and was running xastir over the ax25 port just
fine. I'm using a tnc-x through a USB to serial dongle. But now, the
port goes down after just a few minutes of being up. I get the "port
'radio' not configured" message in any ax25 software, the interface is
no longer up in ifconfig, and so on. When it's up, it works fine with no
problems for transmit and receive, in both xastir and digi_NED. I can
bring the interface up by 'killall kissattach' and re-doing it... but
this is clearly suboptimal.

To emphasize, this was working perfectly yesterday. The only thing
that's changed, except for restarting, is that I'm not connected to a
network (out on vacation in Maine).

I should also note that I'm able to run xastir just fine if I set it up
as a regular serial KISS TNC, but then of course I can't share the port.

Any guesses?

Thanks,
Robert KC2YWE