[Xastir] AX.25 problem on Linux

Robert Mead rmead at justconnected.net
Mon Aug 15 21:54:30 EDT 2011

Finally figured this out. Ubuntu has an older version of ax25-[utils | apps] and libax25. Not sure why it should have made a difference, since it seemed to be kernel-level, but removing Ubuntu's version and using my own compiled version seems to have fixed it.

Running the TNC's serial port at 1200 baud (down from 9600) seemed to improve things as well. I'm still leaning towards some error correction scheme gone wrong…

For Google-reference:

TNC-X connected by serial to a PL2303 based USB-serial converter. Errors in the kernel log relating to CRC problems with the mkiss module. It would try crc-smack, then crc-flexnet, then the connection would fail as it printed "crc mode is auto". Re-running kissattach would fix it. I am using Ubuntu 11.04

Glad I got this working! I was going to have to go back to Windows...

-Robert KC2YWE