[Xastir] can only run as root Ubuntu 11.04

K8PET k8pet at orrresearch.com
Sat Aug 20 09:47:54 EDT 2011

If I try to run xastir-2.0.0 built on Ubuntu 11.04 as a user in a terminal I
get this message and the command prompt:

XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found?
/usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

If I run it as root it works fine.   I want to run as a regular user because
of the dire warnings in the wiki about running as root!

This seems like a permissions issue but I can't see where in comparison to
xastir-2.0.0 which runs  as a normal user on Mandriva 2010.

All suggestions are welcome!

Jack k8pet