[Xastir] OSX Build - long

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Dec 15 14:03:12 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:57:08AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:54:26AM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jpronans at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > > http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics/tech-talk/2010/msg01199.php
> > For some reason that doesn't open here, so you'll have to enlighten me.
>
> Odd.
>
> Ok, it's a message from a mailing list for a product called EPICS
> (Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System) where a person
> has said they got prexactly the error message you reported, on OSX, when
> building OpenMotif from source and trying to use it.
>
> The answer contains:
>
> ------------
> The error dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: occurs when a library has not been explicitly loaded during link time. I solved the problem adding to the linker,  /usr/bin/c++ -o medm blah ... -lca -lCom -lXm -lXt -lXmu ... the library -lXft . I can now save my displays without a crash. If you compile openmotif from source, you should be aware that Xft lives in its own library. Perhaps this should be noted in the MEDM README.
> -------------
>
> Specifically, the line that caught my eye was the one that mentions it's
> a function of building OpenMotif from source on OSX (I guess somehow the
> dependency of the shared library on libXft isn't caught when linking, but
> that the folks who package OpenMotif for Fink or MacPorts somehow figured out
> a way to handle that?).

FWIW, on my systems, "ldd" on the libXm.so shared library reports that it
depends on libXft, and the dynamic linker takes care of that.  I don't know
why the dylib you've build doesn't carry that same information, but you
can double check the dependencies with "/usr/bin/otool," so I read.  If it
doesn't list libXft as a dependency then something is busted in the build.
Not sure how to fix it.  But if it *does* list libXft as a dependency and just
can't resolve it, that's another matter.

It would be interesting to see how Fink builds openmotif3 and how that differs
from how you're doing it.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey