[Xastir] help

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:59:14 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:18:36PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <davekh at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>> I never have   inet > rf  enabled   that would mean all the inet traffic
>> would get transmitted out onto RF - I wouldn't want that.
>
> No, it wouldn't.
>
> INET->RF only gates to RF messages that are directed from a station heard
> by your igate only on APRS-IS to a station that your igate has heard on RF.
>
> In addition, you can configure it to gate traffic from specific stations from
> APRS-IS to RF, but by default it does not do this.
>
> Gating "all the inet traffic" to RF would be a disaster, and there is no
> recent vintage software that would do that no matter what buttons you click.

There's no recent software with a GUI with buttons that would do that,
but the two lightweight daemons out of Finland, aprx and aprsg, will
do that relatively easily.  Both are intended to be used with no
filter when logged into an IS server, but if the user puts a filter in
there such as m/100, everything received within a 100km radius will be
gated to RF (if the software has been configured to send from IS to RF
and if there's no transmit filter on the RF side).  So to anyone
trying out aprx or aprsg for the first time - nice little tools, but
be careful!

Lee - K5DAT