[Xastir] Digipeater

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 11:36:20 EST 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Kai Günter Brandt wrote:

> I agree. Xastir is great but to operate as an igate use i.e APRX as this
> have igate/digi as a primary function. there are less thing that can go
> wrong too as xastir is a big program compared to aprx and they have
> their own  work areas.

I'd definitely check out something else as an igate or digipeater at a remote location.  Aprx has been suggested but I have no experience with that one.  As far as digipeating, DigiNED is about as good as you can get and runs under Linux or DOS.

Xastir does function as an igate, but has very limited digipeating capability.  It's better to use the right tool for the job, so for a manned station that needs igate and digipeater functionality I'd recommend Xastir + DigiNED against an AX.25 kernel networking port, with a KISS-mode TNC.

For an unmanned station, DigiNED for the digipeater, and something else without a GUI for the igate.