[Xastir] Digipeater

Dean warpedspeed1 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 19:40:45 EST 2011

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:36:20 -0800 (PST)
From: "Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com>
To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Digipeater

I'd definitely check out something else as an igate or digipeater at a remote
location.  Aprx has been suggested but I have no experience with that one.  As
far as digipeating, DigiNED is about as good as you can get and runs under Linux
or DOS.

Xastir does function as an igate, but has very limited digipeating capability.
It's better to use the right tool for the job, so for a manned station that
needs igate and digipeater functionality I'd recommend Xastir + DigiNED against
an AX.25 kernel networking port, with a KISS-mode TNC.

For an unmanned station, DigiNED for the digipeater, and something else without
a GUI for the igate.

**************************************

I will second that.  We use DigiNED here in the Orlando Area for the digipeaters
that we (Emergency Amateur Radio Team) have control of.  It IS the STUFF.

You can implement it in a fairly simple fashion, or you can get real fancy with
the filtering, which we have had to do here.

I have also used the dual configuration that Curt described with both Xastir and
DigiNED using the same KISS Interface.  I have used this for special event
stations where we might want to have both an APRS client, and a digipeater, for
instance at a Command Post.   It is a beautiful thing.

One day, maybe when a 25th hour is added to the days, I am hoping figure out how
to gate Wx Alerts on RF with one of our DigiNED digipeaters.  I am currently
doing that with Xastir from my house, and it works, but it would be good to move
it to a Digi.

Dean  KD4TWJ