[Xastir] Unable to open GeoTiff.

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 01:32:01 EST 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, jd at jdwallace.com wrote:

> I've built Xastir 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 using the install steps from http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.10.
>
> So far the only offline maps I've been able to display are Green Trails maps that were converted from Ozi to .geo. I would really like to use the DRG maps from http://rocky.ess.washington.edu/data/raster/drg/index.html but I am having no luck.
>
> Should these maps work? Is any processing required to get them into a usable format?

As long as they are the raw USGS DRG's, and not the MrSID-compressed versions, you should be fine.  You'll need the .tif and the .fgd files only.

For this you'll need tif, geotiff, and proj4 libraries, installed in the proper order (geotiff must be built with proj4 support).

I don't know if the Ubuntu instructions give you a working geotiff installation.  I'm using OpenSuSE.  Check the "INSTALL" file that comes with Xastir for more details on the library installs for geotiff.

Curt, WE7U, Snohomish County SAR.