[Xastir] Xastir 2.0.0 on Arch Linux

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 14:00:29 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Mike H <mph at sportscliche.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I hope I can close this two-month old thread by announcing the
> availability of an Arch Linux PKGBUILD that builds xastir from CVS.  Recall
> that I could build xastir 2.0.0 from source, but was unable to develop a
> package that worked in the Arch Build System (ABS).  Lee (K5DAT) and Tom
> (KM5VY) were spot-on in their suspicions that the problem was caused by a
> conflict between /usr/local/share/ and /usr/share/ directory structure that
> Arch uses.  This was addressed and fixed by the devs in a CVS update.  Tom
> also helped isolate the problem by providing me with a patch for the
> makefile that exists in the stable repo.

The problem was actually with the DESTDIR variable in Makefile.am, which had
already been fixed in CVS prior to your original post.  You were attempting
to create the package with the stable Xastir 2.0 version, which didn't have
the fix that had been added to the code in CVS.

The difference in directory structure between compiling from source and
installing into /usr/local/share vs. installing a binary package into
/usr/share can be a nuisance, but it is not something that would be "fixed"
in CVS.

> I wrote a PKGBUILD called xastir-cvs and placed it in the Arch User
> Repository (AUR).   This will allow Arch users to install bleeding-edge
> xastir from the CVS with just a single command if they are using an AUR
> helper like yaourt or clyde.  The ABS does not allow for user interaction
> during the build, so if the optional festival sound support package is
> desired it must be installed before building xastir.  No editing of the
> script is required, just make sure festival is installed before installing
> xastir.  I have been running xastir with festival on my Arch system for a
> few days and have not experienced any problems.

Congrats on what sounds like a successful package.  Arch can add itself to
the list of Linux distributions that has a binary package available that is
newer than the stable source package.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT