[Xastir] New User

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jan 10 11:26:11 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 08:21:39AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Hank Lambert wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply, I will definitely do that. Should I uninstall Xastir
> > from Synaptic before I start the cvs install?
>
> Yes.  Plus depending on whether the Synaptic install put things in the default locations that CVS will, you may wish to delete your ~/.xastir/ directory and contents as well.
>
> If Synaptic put Xastir's map directory at /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ then you can probably skip the ~/.xastir/ directory deletion.  If it put it anywhere else, then it's easier just to delete your per-user config directory and let the new Xastir create a fresh one for you.  Be aware that if you do delete it, your callsign/location/internet connects/etc will need to be redone in the new Xastir.

The synaptic-installed version, like most Linux packages, makes everything
live in /usr, not /usr/local.  So it is necessary to fix the user config
on any Debian-based system on which Xastir has been installed from packages.

It is one of the first steps listed in the Ubuntu installation notes page on
the wiki.

Blowing away the .xastir director is probably the easiest approach for a brand
new user, as Hank has indicated is his case.  He is unlikely to have installed
lots of local maps, or to have configured very many complex things --- he has
also said he just uses an internet server at the moment rather than any sort of
TNC set-up.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."