[Xastir] New User

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 12:14:30 EST 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Hank Lambert wrote:

> One more question; will Xastir cache the maps so that it won't have to
> download them every time I change the viewing scale? If not, is there a way
> to do that?

If you use the tiled versions of the online OSM maps, then the tiles get cached and Xastir will use those tiles that you have previously cached at each zoom level.  If you change to a new zoom level w/o cached maps it has to snag those.  If you move in a direction that you don't have tiles, Xastir has to snag those.

If however you use the non-tiled versions, then Xastir has to snag the whole darned image if it doesn't have one at the proper zoom level and center already cached.  Much slower.

If you snag your entire state maps, and maybe some neighboring states, from the Cloudmade Shapefile extracts and put them on your hard drive (and of course switch to using them), then maps can be fast all the time.  In that case Xastir is drawing vectors/points/labels instead of using cached raster images.