[Xastir] NOOOBIE with Questions

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 12:55:14 EST 2011

--- On Sun, 1/16/11, Chris wrote:

> Hello,
> A friend got me started with Linux(Fedora 14).  I am
> wanting to learn about it for a project for this
> spring.  Now in addition I want to use XASTIR and need
> to know the tricks to manipulate the tar.gz files to get the
> program up and running.  I am not sure how to access
> the pieces of the puzzle.  I am a Microsuck PC guy
> familiar with APRS and now have to learn the intricacies of
> XASTIR.
>
> Thanks for any advice the list can give.

There's the Fedora installation FAQ on xastir.org:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Fedora

Scroll down to the part titled "Tar balls" for what you're trying to do.

But the basics of any gzipped tarball (a file ending in .tar.gz or sometimes .tgz) is to unzip and untar it where you want it to go:

cd /path/to/where/files/will/reside
tar -xvzf tarball_filename.tar.gz

For the case of the Xastir tarball you might want to do:

cd /usr/local/src
tar -xvzf tarball_filename (whatever the current xastir tarball name is)

After that you'll find a new directory.  Change to that directory and you'll find some of the READMEs for running the rest of the installation.