[Xastir] NOOOBIE with Questions

Fred Erickson fredferickson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 15:33:09 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM,  <kb8uih at charter.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> A friend got me started with Linux(Fedora 14).  I am wanting to learn about
> it for a project for this spring.  Now in addition I want to use XASTIR and
> need to know the tricks to manipulate the tar.gz files to get the program up
> and running.  I am not sure how to access the pieces of the puzzle.  I am a
> Microsuck PC guy familiar with APRS and now have to learn the intricacies of
> XASTIR.
>
> Thanks for any advice the list can give.
>
> 73,
> Chris
> KB8UIH

Hello Chris,

Welcome to Fedora & Xastir.

I'm not an expert on either but have been using them for a while. The
link to the Xastir How-To for Fedora that Alex provided is excellent,
you can follow it word for word, for the most part, to get up and
running with Xastir - you can copy and paste many of the commands
directly into your terminal window.

The 2.0.0 version of Xastir is in the Fedora repositories and can be
installed using yum - 'sudo yum install xastir' should do the job. If
you don't know the sudo and yum commands, you'll need to do a bit of
reading. I have always used the CVS method of installing Xastir - it's
a bit more work to learn initially but you always have the latest
version available - 2.0.1 currently.

This list is awesome - can't thank everyone enough for all I've
learned from reading it regularly. Another list you probably should
subscribe to as a Fedora user is their users list - it's very active -
lots of messages every day. A link is below: