[Xastir] Help with TH-D72

Harry Bloomberg hbloomb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:04:28 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Harry Bloomberg wrote:
>
>  I've got a new Kenwood TH-D72 that I've interfaced to Xastir.  It's
>> working
>> except for one problem.  Xastir is unable to obtain GPS data from the
>> TH-D72.  Whenever I do View->GPS, I see an error message: GPS data is
>> older
>> than 30 seconds.
>>

> Which Xastir interface type are you using?  It should be "Serial TNC w/GPS
> on Aux Port".  This is the mode where Xastir will send a Control-E
> periodically when it wants a GPS string from the Radio's TNC.  Also called
> Control-E mode or Paccomm mode.

I am able to connect to the TH-D72 using minicom and a USB cable.  Would it
be of any value for me to manually query the TH-D72's TNC for GPS data?  I
took a look at the Kenwood instruction set for the TNC and it was not
obvious to me what the TNC commands would be to obtain GPS data to see why
Xastir might think it is stale or unavailable, so I will need some help with
the exact TNC instructions.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
hbloomb at gmail.com